Most attractively priced Thai language education visas in Chiang Mai

Last edited: March 30, 2023 at 08:39:00


Staying in Chiang Mai long-term (one or several years) on a one year visa has quite a few benefits compared to flying in and out on short term visas like a tourist visa or doing visa runs. With short term visas, you always have to get extensions and leave the country every few months while perhaps you're not really in the mood for such a forced trip. With a one year visa, you won't have to leave for the entire time, the only thing you need to do is to report to Immigration every 90 days (which is necessary for all one year visa, otherwise called non-immigrant visa). If you want to make a trip to another country, you can do that but you just have to remind yourself to get a re-entry permit first in order not to loose your visa.
So a one year visa gives you the peace of mind of not being forced to leave when you don't want to.


There are various grounds to stay in Thailand for one full year and to study something is one of them. A non-immigrant one year ED visa is one of the easiest visas to obtain for foreigners. It doesn't require an awful lot of paperwork or a huge amount of money in the bank. Besides that, it is actually very empowering to turn something that you must do (getting your long term visa papers right) into something that is useful for you and that you can enjoy (learning Thai language). You'll be surprised how much deeper you can get into Thai society by being able to read, write and speak Thai.

If you're not so serious about learning Thai, but it's the one year visa that you are interested in in the first place, you can pick those schools which are not strict about attendance, so you can be free most of the time.
Nowadays, most schools in Thailand charge around THB 45,000 for a 1-year education visa and require a commitment of no less than 400 study hours.
Listed below are the best schools in Chiang Mai that offer the most attractively priced education visa in Thailand and allow you the most 'flexible' attendance, while you can also really study there if you want.

All schools are fully recognized by the Thai Ministry of Education, so nothing to worry about for you.



Inspiration Language School is an active and reliable school that offers a great variety of language study programs for foreign students:

  • Thai for foreigners
  • English
  • Korean
  • Chinese
  • Japanese

The cheapest study program for Thai language including one year education visa starts at only THB 24,900 (!). For a more extensive language program, you pay THB 39,000 and an additional THB 2,000 fee to change your visa from tourist visa to ED visa when you're in Thailand. Total costs THB 41,000 This program includes 100 hours of lessons.

There are various other study modules to cater for the needs of individual students: private classes, more intensive classes etc.

The school is based on Christian principles but of course welcomes anybody. There are two branches, one in Maehia area and one conveniently in NImman.

Read more about this and cotact the school

Inspiration Language School education visa in Chiang Mai Inspiration Language School education visa in Chiang Mai


The second on our list is not a language school, but a school teaching martial arts and self defense. This is a very well organized school that takes care of your application from beginning to end, and even helps you with your 90-day reporting. The school does not require you to speak Thai, attendance is very flexible (some students actually live in Phuket!) and 

Read more about this school

SCHOOL 1 near Superhighway and intersection to Maejo

Fully recognized Thai and foreign language school by Ministry of Education

This school offers the ED visa for 1 year:

  • 1 year Thai language course - THB 20,000
  • 1 year English language course - THB 25,000
  • 1 year Chinese language course - THB 25,000

Schedule: 2 days a week, 2 hours per day
Learning level: all levels from beginner to advanced

These classes are group study, not private class, and classes follow the schedule of the school.

The school offers full assistance in all paperwork to get the education visa. This deal becomes all the more attractive if you apply from abroad, because then you can pick up your ED-visa there and enter Thailand with it and stay 1 year in a row.

SCHOOL NO. 3 in Nimman area

This is a boutique language school suitable for the more serious student, who wants to stay in Thailand for 1 year but also learn some Thai, and who has enough flexibility to adapt to a group lesson schedule.
Various 1-year ED visa programmes offered, the cheapest programme is at only THB 19,950 for 1 full year, which comes down to only THB 50 per lesson!
This school received an Award of Excellence and Quality from the Ministry of Education during the past 3 years, so this is definitely not a school for those who just want to get the visa and take it easy.

Cheapest 1 year ED visa programme works like this:

  • You can apply anytime. Processing time for visa is about 1 month, then you can pick your visa up from a Thai Embassy and start to stay in Thailand for 1 year.
  • The lessons offered are group lessons for 10 people.
  • The school will wait until 10 people have registered for this super-cheap programme, after that the school will fix a group schedule for lessons every week. So it is possible that in the beginning you don't have lessons yet.
  • You are expected to be flexible enough to attend to the class schedule.
  • You are allowed to skip some lessons due to illness, holiday or travel or other reasons, but the schools works with a minimum attendance percentage.

All-in-all, you will get a very attractive price for real good Thai lessons and you can stay in Thailand one full year, but you just have to be flexible to adjust to the group schedule.

You can also register with a group of friends.

SCHOOL NO. 5 in the Old Town

This is a unique school that offers a 6-months ED-visa for studying Muay Thai! Ideal for anyone who wants to stay long-term in Thailand and is interested to train and learn Muay Thai more than learning Thai language or self-defence techniques. Students of this school can repeat this 6-months visa many times (more than 5 years!). At the end of the 6-months visa, you'd have to leave the country for a short trip to any Thai consulate (usually Vientiane) to pick up your next ED-visa entry.

The school offers various training packages that are targeted at two kinds of students:

1. more serious students

This is designed for the more serious students. Students will have to train a minimum amount of hours per month and will have to pass examinations at each level, after that they will receive a certificate.
There are 5 levels for this group of students: beginner / intermediate / advance / referee / trainer. Each certification program takes 6 months of training.

Costs of the program:

  • THB 50,000 for 6 months of unlimited training (this is discounted rate from normal rate THB 10,000 per month), entire amount due at the start.
  • Visa application services for the first time: THB 6,000.
  • Normal visa extension fee (payable at Immigration Department): THB 1,900 every 90 days.
  • Visa assistance by agent (optional) fee for 90 day reporting: THB 3,000

2. less serious students

This is suitable for travellers who wish to stay in Thailand longer, doing some Muay Thai training and learning but not too much.

Costs of the program:

  • minimum THB 25,000 for training 55 times in 6 months (so on average 2-3 times per week).
  • Visa application services for the first time: THB 6,000.
  • Normal visa extension fee (payable at Immigration Department): THB 1,900 every 90 days.
  • Visa assistance by agent (optional) fee for 90 day reporting: THB 3,000

SCHOOL NO. 6 near the Nightbazar

This school receives a lot of feedback from serious students who really want to learn useful and realistic self-defense techniques, while enjoying efficient and full visa assistance for 1 full year.
The program gives you ample time to do something else, but it is not suitable for those who hardly want to attend.

Tourist visas can be converted into education visa without you needing to leave the country.

Three programs available:

  1. 3 months visa: THB 35,000
  2. 6 months visa: THB 45,000
  3. 1 year visa: THB 55,000

For the 1 year visa, it's a total of 180 hours of study, attendance required is only twice per week.

Fees include: all school training fees, immigration application costs, admin and paperwork service, VIP application process (fast, without queues), 90-day reports, ongoing support, first visa extension and 1 official Core Combat Chiang Mai shirt.

If the buttons don't open up in your mail program, simply contact us first to discuss.

Did you find another school that offers (more) attractive programs with the education visa provided, please let us know so we can help other foreigners find the right school too.


NOTE 1: Programs listed may be subject to change. Ultimate conditions are stated by the school at the time of registration.

NOTE 2. Different schools structure their lesson schedules in more or less efficient ways, so if you pick the school right for you, it can cost you less time. Besides that, schools do allow some

Leave a comment

Note: By posting a comment or question, you will not automatically be notified when other people respond to your post (as in some other social media message threads). Please check the thread yourself if you’re interested in this topic.

Please put in your real email address. It will not be displayed with your comment or on the site, but we can answer you if needed. Comments with fake email addresses may be removed.
Some comments may be edited or deleted, according to our comments policy.

eyal raz Posted on March 06, 2023 at 20:01:48
hi,i like to join the no.1 thai language school,do i have to do the process in my home country
or i can come to thailand with a tourist visa and then applay for a AD visa with your assistance?
Q Posted on January 09, 2023 at 03:06:59
Does anyone know the name of SCHOOL 2 listed here?
Ghanimuhammadusman Posted on November 13, 2022 at 23:57:02
Urgent change visa and .May i work sales , and teach Chinese English,. With learning Thai . +956968798
отлэ Posted on October 23, 2022 at 13:51:07
говносайт . никто нигде не отвечает вообще. скорее всего кидос.
CM Locator Posted on September 29, 2022 at 08:06:44
@Andrew: all schools listed on our site are very flexible with attendance schedules. Just select the ones you like and contact them
Andrew Posted on September 29, 2022 at 06:49:41
Hello, what is the exact time of two the hours lesson per day? I'm doing a remote job with computer and if the lessons clashes with my work time, it would be problematic. How many lessons acceptable to miss? Because I would like to travel within Thailand as much as possible. I should do this course only because of the visa.
Does the vacation mandatory or not? Please help me to answer my questions! Thanks!
Ohmar Posted on September 14, 2022 at 07:20:41
I want to know the cheaper learning school with ED visa in chaingmai .
If you know, please
Rob Gransjean Posted on August 10, 2022 at 13:45:20
Dear Mrs and Sir, I am in the Netherlands and want for 10 months from Oct 18, 2022 to 31 -7 2023 what do you want to know from me I am 69 years old and in good condition, what can I do first apply for 90 days here in the Netherlands and than the rest in Chiangmai and what are the total costs for arranging the Visa 10 months, you can also reach me Nova Watsap +31 0622568253 Mvg Rob Gransjean was already 6 months in Chiangmai in 2022 until the end of June
Aung Kaung Thu Posted on July 22, 2022 at 10:46:29
Im looking for Ed Visa, being already in Thailand and Thai Language Classes that can be done online.
Please advise.
Sammuel Posted on June 06, 2022 at 15:10:10
Hi, I am on a visa on arrival and I have already used my extension. My visa expires jun 12th. Is there any way to extend so I dint have to leave Thailand and come back?
Yasemen Kurttas Posted on March 22, 2022 at 09:57:36
Hello, I would like to apply for most budgeted option as soonest. Please assist.
Lulu Posted on November 06, 2021 at 06:52:56

I live in KohPhangan, Im a Chinese passport holder. I would like to apply for ED visa. I came to THAILAND with a tourist visa. Now im have covid extention visa till 21th December.

Please advise how to procee it.

Thank you.
Pernille Posted on July 18, 2021 at 10:09:40
Me and my partner want to study Thai 1 year and get an educational visa. We are now in Thailand on visa extension, and need a visa before the end of august. Can we apply for an educational visa through a language school even though we are in the country?
Dannylim Posted on June 12, 2021 at 03:58:41
I am interested to enrol into a thai language learning course with flexible time.
Kindly advice as Thailand is opening to foreigners soon.
Lisa Posted on October 22, 2020 at 09:43:49

I have a one year education visa for Thai language. If I want to stay beyond one year, I have to extend my education visa but my school does not allow a second year. What are my options given the circumstances of being here during the pandemic?

Thank you,
Admin Posted on September 26, 2020 at 07:41:09
@Alessio: Dear Alessio, all schools in Chiang Mai are able to provide for student visa, we have listed the most attractive ones on this page. Due to the covid-19 situation, they have been allowed to convert all kinds of visa to ED visa without you having to leave the country. However, in general the schools need 15 days, so you first need to be an a visa extension long enough to allow them to apply.
Alessio Posted on September 03, 2020 at 08:22:56
Hi me( Italian) and my girlfriend (Chinese) we are with amnesty visa until the 26 and we are looking to get the student visa to live and study English in Chiang Mai , I need more infos about everything .
Thank you so much!
young ho Posted on August 21, 2020 at 07:09:59
I am in Thailand. Can I get 1 year student visa without leaving? How much would it be in total?

Lis Posted on August 20, 2020 at 07:50:16
Im looking for Ed Visa, being already in Thailand and Thai Language Classes that can be done online.
Please advise.
Mr Casper Bezemer Posted on November 28, 2019 at 09:40:36
I’m from Netherlands just a tourist who work remotely online for my own company in Netherlands. I stay around 7 months per year in BKK and this time government told me I’ve been traveling too much on a Tourist Visa the last years. So looking for alternative solutions. I went to some schools for information about studying language but then you have to stay continue in the class. Looking for a more flexible option. Hopefully you know something. Best regards Casper
Mr Casper Bezemer Posted on November 28, 2019 at 09:40:18

I’m from Netherlands just a tourist who work remotely online for my own company in Netherlands. I stay around 7 months per year in BKK and this time government told me I’ve been traveling too much on a Tourist Visa the last years. So looking for alternative solutions. I went to some schools for information about studying language but then you have to stay continue in the class. Looking for a more flexible option. Hopefully you know something.

I got your details from a Thai teacher in Chiang Mai who recommend your school.
So I’m looking for something I don’t have to come every week to the class.

Thank you.

Hope I hear soon from you.
Best regards Casper

Lim Posted on October 17, 2019 at 15:58:15
Am keen in option 2 please email or contact me at 0992013773
Bernard lapay Posted on August 18, 2019 at 18:45:10
Just an inquiry for now.thank you
Yun Sun-yong Posted on February 25, 2019 at 10:22:51
I want the first school.
I am old as a Korean. I was born in 1972. Is there a problem?
Nicholas Posted on November 26, 2018 at 01:17:47
How do I start applying for this course and visa?
walter tshibasu curtis Posted on April 23, 2018 at 12:11:33
i want a visa for the students
pol Posted on December 07, 2017 at 18:39:02
hey, none of the links seem to be working? thanks!
Carl Franzén Posted on January 07, 2016 at 03:43:04
I need to extend my visa. Already extended my visa on arrival with 30 extra days which will expire soon.
Martin Posted on February 02, 2015 at 06:02:12

Hope u got my 1st message ,
Pls lets get in contact to see yr services provided...I'm Norwegian call 0987549901 or required .


Martin Posted on February 02, 2015 at 05:59:26
hi I hv a 2 entry Visa and for my 1st entry back I got only 30 days in which I meant I should hv 60..??

But pls explain what services you do and reply back , I'm a Norwegian ph: 098 754 9901
And would be willing to look at yr services.

All the best

Admin Locator Posted on January 29, 2015 at 06:18:02
Thank you for your inquiry, James. Our visa partner was having a temporary server problem, that's why the link didn't work. They will be in touch with you shortly. Meanwhile, if you wish to clarify more of your background (current visa, nationality, previous entries), you can send it to us on About Us / Contact us.
James Posted on January 29, 2015 at 03:46:41
Please can you help me apply for a tourist visa. My wife is pregnant and due to give birth in 1 week, but our visa will run out in 2 weeks. Can you please help us to gain another 30 days on our current entry visa?

Please call me on 09 9541 7707.