Retirement Visa to Thailand

Not rated yet - Add a rate / comment

Last edited: January 21, 2018 at 04:47:55

A retirement visa to Thailand or non-immigrant "O" is probably one of the most widely used visa in Chiang Mai and in Thailand, due to the large number of retirees here. It's not difficult to get and recommendable for all those of 50 years of age and over. ("O" stands for "other", which contains many other cases besides retirement, but this is how the Thai authorities have categorized it.)

Target group: retirees or anyone from 50 years of age.

Validity: 1 year, and you can extend it again and again.
The only thing you have to do is to report to Immigration every 3 months.

1. You apply first for a one entry of 90 days non-immigrant O visa;
2. You convert it to a 1-year retirement visa at the end of the entry;
3. You can renew it every year without leaving the country. Renewal is possible from 30 days before expiry, don't be late because that creates a lot of trouble.

standard requirements;
• age 50 years old and over;
• no criminal records;
• proof of residency: Thai housebook ("thabiengbaan") or rental agreement (bring original and copies)
• financial requirements:
- if you apply for a retirement visa in Thailand: proof of funds in a Thai bank account equivalent to at least THB 800,000. Bring copies of records of at least 3 months (used to be 6 months), the balance should not show drops below this minimum throughout this entire period). You need to bring a letter from the bank confirming the balance, this letter is valid only for 7 days and banks charge 100-400 baht for this; OR
- proof of regular income of at least THB 65,000 OR
- a combination of these (balance in Thai baht account + yearly income = at least THB 800,000);
- if you apply for a retirement visa in your home country, the money / income does not have to be in Thailand, it can be anywhere in the world.

Fees: THB 5,000 for a 1-year visa

Other information: This is definitely one of the easiest visa you can get to stay in Thailand long term, provided that you're 50 years or older. Some people have a problem with holding the sum of THB 800,000 in a Thai bank account, considering the low amounts of interest you can get on it. However, foreigners report that Thai authorities only check on this balance during a short period of time, after which they are free to re-invest it in something else, so this seems to be not such a big problem.
Also, some visa agents that focus retirement market provide several services to facilitate the process (including or after the first time of applying). Such agents can even do the 90-day reporting at Immigration for you so that you won't have to bother queueing up. Typical costs for four to five 90-days reports are in the order of THB 3,000-6,000.
Some agents alledgedly can even arrange for you to get a retirement visa from the age of 45 years (but you've got to pay some additional fees in the order of THB 20,000) or just get you the entire visa for about THB 22,000 without the need to submit all the financial statements.

DISCLAIMER: This information was compiled from several sources and best-practises. Policies, prices and procedures of the Thai authorities change continuously. CM Locator accepts no liability for incorrectness of information here. Help us keep this information as update and useful for visa applicants as possible and let us know if you find something has changed.

Leave a comment

Note: By posting a comment or question, you will not automatically be notified when other people respond to your post (as in some other social media message threads). Please check the thread yourself if you’re interested in this topic.

Please put in your real email address. It will not be displayed with your comment or on the site, but we can answer you if needed. Comments with fake email addresses may be removed.
Some comments may be edited or deleted, according to our comments policy.
What do you think about this article?

Bryan Posted on November 22, 2023 at 20:18:22
Looking for a cooking school that will last 6-12 months that will qualify for an ED Visa
Jungle Posted on August 11, 2022 at 02:16:43
Two points I’d like to confirm:
“- if you apply for a retirement visa in your home country, the money / income does not have to be in Thailand, it can be anywhere in the world.”

Point one: “home country” defined as whichever country one is resident in at the time, or the county of one’s nationality?

Point two: must the 800,000 THB equivalent be in a BANK?Or would, say, an equivalent balance in crypto or precious metal be acceptable?
bassem el akremi Posted on October 27, 2020 at 21:36:18
i need invitation letter for business visa
Mrs, Ho Posted on August 19, 2018 at 11:11:47
Dear Sir/Madam,
We are HK people & planning go to Chiangmai 2 year later. As my husband will be 50years old on next year. I am younger than him 3 years. We plan to use education visa/retirement visa to stay in Chiangmai. At present we have rental income about HK$8,000 per month. After immigrate to Thailand we also lease out our own house while it may have rental income about HK$12,000 per month. Therefore our total income may around HK$20,000 per month. Would you please advise us which visa is more suitable/cheaper as we don't want to keep THB 800,000 in bank of each account. As far as i know there are some agent which they could provide entire visa for about THB 22,000 without the need to submit all the financial statements. Do you have this service could provide & how much the cost of the charge ? Do you have mobile nos with what's app function which we can communicate directly ? Pls email to me.
Thanks your advance.
Dave Posted on July 29, 2018 at 06:14:33
I got a lot of good Information after reading this page on Visa's, well put together
your sources are spot on many thanks

peter heross Posted on June 08, 2018 at 06:21:00
Hi wat is the price for renew my retirement visa
Jimmy Posted on January 16, 2018 at 10:20:06
Dear Sir/Madam, i am planing go to Chiangmai in March, by a O-A retirement visa, i would like to outsource your service for the first time extension application, and now i am preparing the document needed, and i am aware that, i have to prepare a leasing contract for a condo, could you please advise me how long (how many months) at least for the leasing contract i have to rent?
is there a bottom line?
thanks for your advise in advance, then i can source a proper condo for this.

best regards,

Morton Stahl Posted on January 08, 2018 at 12:36:18
Is there any good health insurance for a 74 year old retiree in Thailand?
Susan Posted on June 04, 2015 at 01:07:42
Would like to know your total fee converting tourist visa to retirement visa.usa citizen .we meet all requirements